Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Workout Wednesday: My Workout Week

My second week of real commitment to working out proved to be more successful than my first.  As I discussed last week, I decided to keep my gym membership and check out some of the classes.  Last Wednesday, I participated in my first class, which was called Body Pump.  This vigorous, one-hour workout combines cardio and strength training. The instructor had us squatting, extending, bending, jumping, and just about everything else with a barbell or weights in hand.  Thursday morning, I knew I'd had a great workout.

On Thursday evening, I chose a lighter class at the gym.  This class was in the pool with resistance weights under water.  While it was still a great workout, it gave my joints and muscles a bit of a rest.  Spending an hour totally focused on getting a full-body workout makes a lot of sense and saves a lot of time.

On the weekend, I took a long walk on Saturday evening, then got up early for a three hour hike up and down a mountain.  It's so great to be able to go this distance without having to worry about deep pain in my foot.  What a delight that the inflammation is almost completely gone.  Of course, I'm still experiencing some pain as my body has been so sedentary for the last few years.  However, strength is appearing in my muscles, joints and heart and lungs.

By Monday, I was pretty sore, so I swam for 20 minutes in the pool and sat for another 20 minutes in the sauna.  Then, on Tuesday, I decided to take a class called Body Attack.  From the title, you can say that I was warned.  This was probably the most difficult one-hour workout I've ever experienced.  My endurance is great because I made it through the whole class, but my strength was really tested, as I could barely pick my feet up by the final peak!  This was another full-body workout and certainly a real challenge.  I'm intrigued by this class, so I plan on showing up next week.

For my final workout, I climbed Cowles Mountain tonight with a friend.  For San Diego citizens, Cowles represents the ultimate uphill workout.  The climb to the top ascends nearly 1,000 feet in about 1.5 miles.  The beginning and end switch back and forth, while the middle is the real killer.  By the time you get to the top, you've had a good 45 minute workout.  The view makes it worth the effort.  A 360 degree view of beautiful San Diego from the mountains all the way to the Pacific Ocean.  The first time I made it to the top, I spent an hour just trying to recognize all the landmarks in the county.  I'll definitely be doing that again soon.

Well, I have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself this week.  Having a lot of variety really works.  I promise to continue to move in the direction of health and vitality.  Life is good!  Be healthy!

Mystic Merman

No comments:

Post a Comment