Sunday, October 2, 2011

Superfood Sunday: An Antioxidant Powerhouse

There are so many great superfoods, so it was difficult for me to decide which one to showcase first.  For me, a superfood should have properties that benefit one's health on many levels.  While considering which one has benefited me the most, one specific food continued to come to mind: the Camu Camu berry.  

Indigenous to the Amazonian rain forests of Peru and Brazil, the Camu Camu berry packs more vitamin C than any other available food in the world.  In fact, many people have stopped taking synthetic vitamin C because of the potent amount of C in this berry.  Additionally, Camu Camu has a decent amount of amino acids, bioflavanoids, and other phytochemicals that are known to strengthen the immune system, enhance the mood, and support the eyes, sinuses and heart.  Several experts on herbs, including Gary Null, place Camu Camu high on their list of the most effective herbs.

When I was first introduced to Camu Camu, I had battled with serious sinus issues for years.  Breathing through my nose had nearly become impossible, disturbing my sleep and giving me a perpetual dry throat.  Although a change in diet helped, it wasn't until I started taking Camu Camu regularly that my sinuses cleared up completely. Also, there is no superfood that has strengthened my immune system more than this magnificent berry.  Although there is little research done on it, I believe Camu Camu will be recognized as a powerful, natural medicine in the future.  I highly recommend researching and trying it.

Because of the high vitamin C content, Camu Camu is a sour fruit.  It has a deep red skin and a bright yellow pulp.  Most people add the powder to their smoothie or a glass of water.  I find that it's best to take Camu first thing in the morning with MSM (natural sulfur).  As always, check the source of the product before you make a purchase.  Sunfood (www.sunfood.com) sells the best quality I've ever tried.  Be healthy!

Mystic Merman

No comments:

Post a Comment