Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Pure Purple Passion

Since I am on my juice feast now, I though I'd share a blended drink I often have in the afternoons.  Because I work at a raw food business, I usually ask other people to pitch into a commune of food and make this for four or five people.  In last weeks blog, I shared the morning cacao drink I make for the phone staff at Sunfood.

This recipe (like all my recipes) changes almost daily.  It depends on what I have and what is in season or available.  However, there are some basic rules for Pure Purple Passion.  First, the base is always fresh squeezed citrus (usually at least 75% orange, with the rest made up of grapefruit and lemon).  Blended into this are high antioxidant frozen berries, and any other berry powders available.  The idea here is to find deep, dark purple or red fruit, which are rich in the anthocyanins, polyphenols, flavonoids, and other powerful antioxidants. The citrus is high in Vitamin C.  Together, this makes a great immune building drink.  If you do this a few times a week, your chances of getting sick can be greatly diminished.

So, here is an example of a version that I made this week (remember, this is for four people):

2 quarts of fresh-squeezed organic orange juice
2 cups of grapefruit juice
the juice of one lemon
1/2 cup blackberries
1/2 cup huckleberries (I picked these wild in the summer, so you can substitute blueberries)
1/2 cup Salal berries (also picked wild, substitute black cherries)
1 tablespoon of Acai powder
1 tablespoon of Maqui berry powder
1 teaspoon of Camu Camu powder

Place all items in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into a glass and enjoy.

Note, if the berries are frozen, this makes for a nice cool smoothie.  Enjoy and be healthy!

Mystic Merman


No comments:

Post a Comment