Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Mock Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

Well, I know I haven't posted for a few days, but I have a good excuse.  I've been out hiking, attending raw potlucks, spending time with my family and laughing my ass off.  On Saturday, I attended a raw potluck/Halloween party at my friends' house.  Their were a lot of fabulous costumes and a professional entertainer that performed a special, scary show.

Although the entertainment stole the night, the food came in a second close.  Attendees created some tasty dishes this time.  There were a couple of great salads, raw carrot cake and pumpkin pie, veggies wraps and even some fresh carrot juice.  I have to say, though, the dish that disappeared the quickest was my Mock Mashed Potatoes and Gravy.  I've made this dish before, but this time it turned out better than ever.  And it's the perfect fall recipe.

Once again, this recipe comes from one of my favorite raw recipe books, Rawvolution by Matt Amsden.  There are two parts to the recipe: the mashed "potatoes" and the gravy.  As always, make sure your ingredients are fresh and organic.  Enjoy!

Mashed "Potatoes"


2 1/2 cups cauliflower (ground in a food processor)
1/4 cup raw macadamia nuts (ground in a food processor)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 small clove of garlic
Ground pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients in a food processor until the mixture has a fluffy texture like mashed potatoes.  Top with ground pepper.

Mushroom Gravy


1/3 cup coconut water
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 cup of mushrooms (white or portobello)
1/4 cup tahini
4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp Nama Shoyu
1/2 stalk celery
1/4 carrot
2 tbsp chopped yellow onion
1/4 red bell pepper
3/4 tsp sea salt

Blend all ingredients together in a high-speed blender until smooth.  Poor over mashed "potatoes" and enjoy!

Be Healthy!

Mystic Merman

No comments:

Post a Comment