Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Caesar Salad with Croutons (Raw, of Course)

One of my all-time favorite salads has always been Caesar Salads.  I used to eat them all the time before I became a vegetarian, thinking that I was eating healthy.  When I first went vegan in my early twenties, I discovered that these salads were not only non-vegan, but they weren't even vegetarian.  The dressing almost always has eggs and anchovies.  Fortunately, I learned how to make a healthy vegan version, croutons and all.

When I first went raw in my early thirties, there was no way I was going to give up my Caesar Salads.  Of course, this was ten years ago before you could just look up a raw recipe online or browse the book section at your local Whole Foods Market.  So, I had to do some experimentation to come up with a good Caesar Salad and that's what I did.  The croutons came later, but they were certainly a welcome addition.  Here is my recipe:

Dressing:

One whole avocado
3 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp of Nama Shoyu (unpasteurized soy sauce)
1 Tbsp tahini
1 glove of garlic
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dulse granules
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground mustard seed

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth (you may have to add a bit of water to get it to blend).  Set aside.

Parmesan-style Cheeze

1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup macadamia nuts
1 Tbsp sea salt

Blend all ingredients in a food processor until fluffy like grated cheese. Set aside.

Croutons

1/2 cup sunflower seeds (ground into a flour in food processor)
1/2 cup flax seeds (ground into a flour)
2/3 cup clean water
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp rosemary (fresh or dried)
1 tsp oregano (fresh or dried)
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp of sea salt

Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl.  Place mixture on dehydrator sheets or wax paper spreading out for 1/2 inch uniformity.  Place in dehydrator at 120 degrees for 24 hours.  (Times may vary depending on machine and desired consistency).

To make your salad, chop one head of romaine lettuce and place in a large salad bowl.  Add dressing and croutons and mix well.  Sprinkle cheeze on top and serve.  Serves three to four.

I hope you enjoy this recipe.  I know I do.  Be healthy!

Mystic Merman


No comments:

Post a Comment