Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 14: Juice it Loose

It's the end of the weekend and I'm coming into the end of my second week on a 90-day challenge.  It's been great, but there is still a lot of fine-tuning to do.

Where exercise is concerned, I'd like to step it up a bit.   In strength training, I've mostly stuck to doing exercises that work large muscle groups, with some focus on individual muscles (biceps, triceps, etc.).  For the next two weeks, I plan to learn more about strength training and raise it to the next level.  For cardio/interval days, I've definitely been pushing it more.  Today, I stuck with a cross training machine at the gym, because my legs are still a little sore from the stairs last Tuesday.  Hopefully, this Tuesday's stairs will witness a faster recovery.

My diet has also been very good, but I'd like to take that to the next level as well.  I'm reading The Gerson Therapy by Charlotte Gerson at the moment.  In it, she lays down her father's protocol to reverse nearly every ailment suffered by humans.  This book is improving my knowledge of the body and a whole-food, plant-based diet, but it's also inspiring me to do a little more cleansing.  I was going to avoid juicing during this 90-day challenge, mostly because I did 2 juice fasts in the last year and was a bit burned out by it.  However, Charlotte's book has convinced me that there is much more healing and cleansing to be done with juicing.


While I'm not going to go back on a juice fast, I do plan on drinking juice for one of my meals every day (with the exception of the last week in July, when I'll be camping in the mountains).  My focus will be to juice primarily at night.  Eating heavier foods later in the day creates more work on the body and can disturb sleep patterns.

So, for the next two weeks, here is what my diet will essentially look like:

Morning: Protein smoothie (similar to what I've been doing)

Mid-morning: light snack (fruit, nuts, or energy bar)

Lunch: large salad with a variety of veggies or a green smoothie

Pre-workout: Maca blended in water with dates and hemp or other energy booster

Post-workout: Banana, half avocado or other potassium replenishment

Dinner: Green juice (low glycemic, high mineral)

By planning my day and diet, I am creating a better foundation for success.  It helps to write down your goals and make each one very specific so you can envision it and create it.  Be healthy!

Mystic Merman

No comments:

Post a Comment