Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 3: Carbs Galore

One of my challenges with food is carbohydrates.  While carbs get a bad rap most of the time, they are unavoidable, especially in a plant-based diet.  The trick is to eat the right kind of carbs at the right time.  One of the things that I'm experimenting with from the Thrive book is eating simple carbs (usually very sweet) before working out.  For example, today, I blended coconut water with carob powder, maca and a little agave before hitting the gym.  During my workout, I used up the easily digested simple carbs.  However, in the past, I have tended to eat a lot of sweet things (chocolate smoothies with loads of agave, dried fruit, etc.) and then sit on my ass all day.  This is a recipe for a wide backside.

My goal during this 90-day challenge is to limit the foods I eat that have simple carbs that easily breakdown into glucose, unless I'm going to work out.  Otherwise, complex carbohydrates from low-glycemic food is optimal.  Also, plant-based foods that have a lot of protein and good fat (seeds, nuts, oils, etc.) are a better source of energy during more sedative periods.  Here is a breakdown of the different types of carbohydrates:


In this chart, the starches are something that I am eliminating altogether, except for an occasional sweet potato.  Potatoes, bread, and other grain foods are taxing on the body and usually store as fat.  Of course, sugar of any kind does not make the cut, with the exception of a little agave in a pre-workout drink and that should be minimal.  The focus during normal meals should be complex carbohydrates from vegetables and low-glycemic fruit (pit fruit, berries, apples, etc.).  In the second month of this challenge, I would like to push this even further and eliminate all sweet fruit for 30 days to see what kind of results I get.  

In the next couple of days, I will continue to post about my diet and workouts.  Measurements of weight, body fat and size are coming too.  Be healthy!

Mystic Merman

No comments:

Post a Comment